Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Day Two of Diet Blogging...

Today Kyle showed me this really awesome website that helps you track meals. I’m probably the last person on the planet to hear about it, but in case you are like me and have had marshmallows in your ears when it comes to healthy eating, the website is www.myfitnesspal.com.

You start by entering your current weight and goal weight. It asks if you want to lose a .5 pound a day or a pound a day, and I selected a pound for the sake of my short attention span.  At 135 lbs with a goal weight of 120 lbs, it gave me a caloric intake of 1470 calories per day. I would be happy even getting to 125 lbs, but I was feeling especially ambitious when I was filling it out ;). The only complaint I have is that it doesn’t seem to count calories for strength training… Only for cardiovascular training. I’m a runner so that won’t affect me too much, but it doesn’t seem fair or accurate.

Here is my meal diary for today:


As you can see, I’m 43 calories over my 1,470 calorie goal. (I haven’t actually eaten that plum yet, but I’m planning on it. I’m already hungry but I’m holding out a little longer so that I’m not hungry before bed.) The site also has a cool feature where it says, “If every day where like today, you’d weight xx lbs in 5 weeks.” I like this because even though I’m over my calorie intake today, it says I’d weight 130.5 lbs in 5 weeks… which still means I’d lose weight. :)

(I feel like I should admit that the first time I filled this out I incorrectly entered 2.5 cups of fried rice instead of 1.5 cups. I was way over the calorie count and didn’t like the website AT ALL. Then Kyle pointed out my mistake and I quickly decided it was an awesome website…)

Anyways, it’s time to break down the day:

Breakfast

I started taking pictures of my meals because it helps me understand the amount of food I am eating better when I see it documented in picture form all day. Also I woke up at 11:00 AM with lots of energy so I was feeling especially creative in regards to this “getting healthy” business. We don’t have any breakfast food except oatmeal and cereal right now, and I try to save the oatmeal for days when I have to work because it keeps me full longer. I couldn’t believe how small a “serving” of cereal is according to the box. Who only eats ¾ cup of cereal?? I upped the amount to 1 cup with ½ cup of 2% milk. (Kyle correctly pointed out later that ¾ cup of cereal is plenty if you are having it in addition to fruit or eggs or something like that.)

Lunch

Lunch was left over chicken fried rice from last night. It’s homemade, (so not quite as awful for you,) but it still has a TON of sodium in it. We are a little low on groceries so I’m just kind of making due for the next few days.

PS- Glogg is a spiced juice drink that I LOVE when it's cold outside. Kyle and I just learned how to make our own, but this one is from Lee's Grocery Store.

Dinner

For dinner I made spaghetti with hamburger and piled on some Parmesan cheese. Fried rice and spaghetti = a lot of carbs, but I had just gotten back from my run and wanted something quick. And once again, we just don’t have a ton of options right now.

Snacks
Remember that plum I mentioned? I am eating it now. Sorry sticky computer keys, I just couldn’t wait any longer.

Exercise
Today I did this work out. (I did each set twice as long.): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGLnQdx0d4U

Immediately following that I decided to take an impromptu run around the block… which turned into running all the way to Kyle’s office and meeting up with him when he got off work to catch a ride home. Kyle’s work is 1.5 miles away, and I ran the entire way! (Except for like two minutes while I texted Kyle and let him know I would be there so that he wouldn’t leave witout me.) Something I love about the myfitnesspal site is that they credit you back the calories you burn when you exercise- so I actually consumed more than 1470 calories. I’ll happily run farther if it means I get to eat more!

All and all my sodium and carb count for the day are high, but I’m actually really happy with how today went. I managed portions substantially smaller than I’m used to, so it’s a great first step!

Here’s an unnecessary (but almost necessary) post-work out selfie... I didn’t think to wipe off my lipstick before I left, so I was feeling extra fabulous.

Until next time!


<3Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment