Sunday, November 2, 2014

5 Steps to a Healthier Nikki?

Recently I decided that it is time to get back in shape. We don't own a scale, so I don't really know if I've gained any weight, but I do know that my jeans are a little tight, I've lost a lot of strength, and due to some other life events, I've eaten a lot more than usual in the past few months (no, I'm not pregnant). I was talking to my best friend about it, and for some reason it just hit me: There are a lot of people in this world who suffer from issues that don't allow their body to work in all areas. But here I am, with my perfectly capable body, and I'm not taking care of it. 

God blessed me with a body that does all the things I need it to do. Shouldn't I be taking better care of it?

The Plan

Step 1.) Run at least a little bit every day (except Sunday)

Living in Logan has been a huge blessing in our lives. Not only have we made friendships that I will cherish forever, but I simply LOVE living in the mountains. It is a beautiful place to go running! Back in Twin Falls, I was working on finishing my ECE degree and didn't have time to take dance classes anymore (I had been a dancer my whole life up until this point). I decided that I wanted to start running, but I couldn't find anywhere I was comfortable. In the area where we lived, it didn't seem to matter how modestly I tried to dress- men would always catcall. I hated it! I started working out at our school's gym, but a gym just isn't nearly as appealing as nature. Moving to Logan completely changed running for me. I LOVE running here! Not only is the landscape pretty, but so far I haven't dealt with any annoying catcalling. I even pass other runners on a regular basis. It's a great place for outdoor exercise.

Step 2.) Build up those "Mommy muscles"

On Halloween this year I went with my ward's play group to Trick or Treat Mainstreet. Obviously I don't have any kids, but I didn't have anything else to do and I wanted to at least do something for Halloween... Plus I love little kids in cute costumes! Our kid to adult ratio was pretty solid, but I think it was good I was there to help out some of the moms with more than one kid to manage. I very quickly learned that I have zero upper body strength. Absolutely no mommy muscles to carry small children. I lucked out and got a young baby in a stroller most of the trip, but I definitely want to work on my upper body strength. The plan is to use Kyle's lightest weights after running, and slowly work up to heavier weights. If anyone has suggestions for upper body workouts, I'd love to hear them!

Step 3.) Uncover my lost flexibility and that hidden 6 pack.

I always told myself that I could never allow my body to lose the flexibility I worked so hard to gain as a young dancer... Do I still have that flexibility? NO. Not even a little bit. I will always remember one of my college dance teacher's complimenting the wide hip turn out I had (this is an important thing in ballet). Another student, who happened to be a new mom said, "That's gonna make giving birth a lot easier. You've got narrow hips, so you're gonna need it!" Kyle and I aren't planning on having kids soon, but I'm going to assume that this mom knew what she was talking about... And it would be a lot harder to regain that flexibility during pregnancy then it would be if I just start stretching regularly again now. Another thing dance gave me was a legit 6 pack. Dancers use their core muscles all the time to maintain balance... As a dancer who hasn't danced in years, I hardly ever use my stomach muscles. This is why my back is sore all the time, because my stomach isn't doing any work whenever I carry anything (like running up the stairs to the potty with the two year old I nanny, for example.) I will be doing sit ups everyday following my run.

Step 4.) Thank the Good Lord for a husband who can manage portion size.

My husband is the king of many things. The King of Craigslist (he finds the best deals). The King of Patience (I have literally only seen him mad a handful of times in our 5 years together). The King of Portion Control. You know those ridiculous portion sizes you learn about in health class? Like how a serving of meat is supposed to be roughly the size of your hand? (I have tiny hands!) Or how a handful of nuts, (even the really yummy ones like macadamia nuts,) is more than enough? Kyle is the only person I know who actually eats like that. Without saying anything to me, he has definitely made me more aware of how much I eat. Which in all honesty, is just too much.

Step 5.) Eat better.

This is by far going to be the hardest thing for me. I can make running fun, (hello Taylor Swift's new album,) I can make stretching fun, but there is absolutely no way to make spinach fun. Or salads. Or not cake. Once again, I can thank the Lord for a wonderful, supportive husband on this one. He is willing to spend money on spinach he knows might not get eaten, but even better, he's willing to buy a food processor so that I can sneak spinach into much yummier things- like pastas and sandwich spreads. Diets, like marriage, are apparently all about team work.

Stretch, exercise, eat less, eat better.

That's the plan. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment